Monday, May 21, 2007

April 10, 1609


It has been months since setting off on this expedition and it is hard to keep track of each passing day that goes by because every day seems the same as the one before it. I feel as if we are going no where, and were headed in circles, but I just remind myself to keep going, because we have already come thus far. Today I thought we might have finally reached the end of our journey but, boy was I wrong. We hit a new water body, and I was hopeful that it might lead us to our desired destination, but it turns out it was just another river bringing us back to the Atlantic. It really angered my crew mates when I told them the bad news, and I feel slightly responsible for bringing up their hopes of discovering the passageway, and then bringing them down again. My crew members seem to be getting a bit frustrated with this voyage, and I am just trying to keep them optimistic. My first mate, the one that is supposed to keep everything in line is Robert Juet. I am getting a little annoyed with Juet right now, because he has a bad attitude about this expedition, and I think it is starting to rub off on everyone else. John Strutton, and my son George Puckett, my Seamen are supposed to be working together, but they also seem to be getting on each other’s nerves. There is a quarrel between those two every time I turn around! Today, George, my carpenter was patching a hold in the front sail, and Paul, the Quartermaster would criticize every move that he made. The Boatswain James, and my other mates are doing their jobs, but the feuding between the other crew members is irritating them as well. I think that we have just spent so much time together, that we are getting bored of one another. However, even though we are all getting on each others nerves, we cannot let it hold us back from discovering the route, and we cannot forget what our main priorities are.

No comments: