Monday, May 21, 2007

May 15, 1608

I have been sent by the Dutch East India Company to find a Northeastern route to Asia. Since the first expedition did not really work out too well, we are all going into this one with open minds. However, by the looks of the weather out here, this voyage may not be successful either, and it has only been a few weeks since we left on the 22 of April. We have already traded with the natives for some really extraordinary items. In addition to a ton of jewels, we have spices, silks, carpets, beads, cloth and teeth of an elephant! But now I’m rambling. I’ll just get back on topic now. I am going about this expedition a little bit different than last time. This time I have a few new crew members, including my son John. My good friends Strutton and Juet are also coming along, but they came on our first voyage as well. The East India Company has sent me ludicrously far north for the purpose of sailing up around Russia into the Pacific. Ugh, it’s so COLD!!! I know I’ve done this before, but it hasn’t gotten any better. The water’s getting icier and icier the farther we go. The Hopewell’s a good ship, but she isn’t a snowplow. We might have to turn back soon.

No comments: