Monday, May 21, 2007

March 19, 1609

Today I received a letter from another European explorer, John Smith. The letter told me that he believed there might be a western sea route because of maps he looked at, and some natives he communicated with. Plus, with all the information of passages brought back from earlier explorers, a westward passage might be possible. I am eager to look for this western route but when I explained the idea to the Dutch East India Company, they were not very happy. Right now all they are only determined to find the northeastern route. So, going in a new direction is out of the question. It would’ve been nice to get a head start on Smith but right now, I just have to focus on what the D.E.C is paying me to do. The last thing I would ever want to happy is for the company to stop financing the voyage, and I will not get my reward.

No comments: